At 2pm on March 16th, stylists arrived at Grace Kelly Salon like any other normal day. We did not realize that March 16th would be the beginning of a whole new world. By 3pm stylists were scrambling to reschedule clients, as we were advised by the Governor to close down business for 2 weeks to slow the spread of COVID 19. At that point closing was not mandatory but highly recommended. We care greatly for our community and clients and took it upon ourselves to do our part to protect everyone. We did not realize at that point that quarantine would last for another 3 months.
We did not see family, friends or clients. Our clients had to learn how to remove their own extensions, hide their gray hairs, learn on the fly to trim their husband and sons’ hair. We started to panic and have nightmares of the quarantine hair we would have to fix once we returned to work. Unfortunately, because of COVID 19 many of our stylists missed out on hands-on classes. Soon we were to learn that ALL 2020 learning opportunities would cease to exist.
Thankfully we have emails and social media. We did our best to stay positive, update our clients and share our home lives. Our staff did zoom meetings and the group text chain was never ending. During our mandated shut down, our staff attended numerous virtual classes to stay up to date on the latest techniques and trends.
Finally on June 5th the Governor announced that Adams County could go Green on June 12th. Thankfully our salon team was prepared as we had come up with the following reopening protocol through this tough time:
- Clients call when they arrive and wait in the car until they receive a call back from the receptionist.
- Clients arrive to appointments alone
- Everyone wears a mask in common areas
- Door knobs, surfaces, chairs are sanitized between every person
- Hand sanitizer and alcohol can be found at each station and front desk.
- Hourly bathroom cleaning
- New capes for each client
- Limiting the number of people in the salon at one time.
- Salon no longer serves drinks so it is BYOB
- If you are not feeling well please cancel your appointment and reschedule 2 weeks out.
- Stations and chairs have been moved to maintain the social distance of 6 feet
Since June 12th we have seen 583 clients and to this day there have been zero cases traced back to our salon. We have and continue to remain dedicated to the health and welfare of our clients and staff.